The Lost Churches of Baltimore

As of January, 1967, there were 17 congregation in Baltimore that were members of the Southern District of the Susquehanna Conference of the Evangelical United Brethren Church. Many of these congregation can trace their roots to Old Otterbein Church, which provided leadership and financial support in their work throughout the city.

Some of these church have closed, some have merged and been reborn others have changed their names and become part of the United Methodist Church by virtue of the denominational merger in 1968.

Old Otterbein would like to at least remember these congregations and the work they have done for the Lord, by placing their stories on our web site. We will update and expand these stories as more information becomes available. If you have photos and stories and other information, please feel free to send it to the church office, or email us at .

Dorguth Memorial United Methodist Church (former United Brethren in Christ) Located on Scott Street in Baltimore, in what is commonly called the "Pigtowne" section of Baltimore, Dorguth UMC closed its doors as a United Methodist faith community in 2001. The Dorguth building was placed on the National Historic Registry in 1979.

Sexton Evangelical United Brethren Church - United Methodist Church

3rd Evangelical United Brethren Church - Where is it now?

Seimer's Memorial (EUB) -

The church has had 14 locations in its long history. Two times the church owned their building, but later the buildings were sold. The current location is owned by the merged churches of Fulton-Siemers Memorial UMC and Christ UMC of the Deaf. Throughout it long history the church has been a place for deaf culture to flourish and deaf leadership to be developed.

Olive Branch (EUB) established in 1889. Is now combined with Good Shepherd Methodist Church to form Olive Branch - Good Shepherd UMC.

In 1834, under the efforts of a prominent Layman, a chapel belonging to a Protestant Episcopal Congregation at William and Churchill Streets was purchased. It remained a part of City Station until 1894 when it became a separate charge and was known as South Baltimore Station commonly referred to as "Big William Street". With the growing area to the South, differences of language, worship styles and doctrines, distances to walk, clustered communities gave rise to the organization of five other churches, all with the Methodist or Wesleyan traditions.

Light Street Methodist Protestant was established in 1852.

Lowe Memorial, originally South Baltimore Free Methodist Society, was established in 1873.

In 1874, Fort Avenue Methodist Episcopal began as a mission of the Baltimore City Missionary and Church Extension Society. In 1878 it became necessary to enlarge and again in 1890, additions were made. Continuing growth culminated with a rebuilt church in 1924.

Patterson Memorial began about 1880 at Charles and Ostend Streets. A tent, a single room structure preceded the building at Hanover and Clement Streets in 1889. Variously known as Bethel, Cook Memorial, after a brief closing in 1894, a Day Nursery was organized 1895. And became a Mission of Mount Vernon Place. In 1899, endowed by a wealthy merchant, it became known as Patterson Memorial. It continued as such until around 1958 when it became a part of the Good Shepherd merger.

In 1879 another Protestant group, organized the Olive Branch Independent Methodist Church. Starting in a building housing the keeper to a graveyard, a one story brick structure was built at South Charles and Fort Avenue. Here in 1889, having joined with another mission at Light Street and McComas, it became the Sixth Church of the Evangelical Association of North America and the name was changed to the Olive Branch Evangelical Church.

To accommodate the gradual growth, on February 19, 1905 a new church was dedicated. This with various structural changes to the Sanctuary, additions for class rooms, administrative and program activities - remains the center for worship and all other needs of the newly merged Olive Branch - Good Shepherd Congregation.

Light Street and South Baltimore Station in 1958 becoming the Galilean Methodist Church. Soon there followed a union with Lowe Memorial, Patterson Memorial and Fort Avenue. They became incorporated in 1958 as The Good Shepherd Methodist Church.

With perhaps too little logic, the attractive, practical, still serviceable Fort Avenue Church was replaced with an Education Building which was to become the first unit of a "Cathedral" of Methodism in South Baltimore.

With the subsequent merger of the Methodist and the Evangelical United Brethren denominations in 1968, two United Methodist churches, in close proximity, were faced with the need to work together. Attempting to survive individually failed. The South Baltimore Parish with a shared minister was not again successful - separately, Olive Branch with Union Square until it closed and Good Shepherd with Dorgouth Memorial.

By action of each Church Conference, on June 7, 1995 it was voted to merge and to begin worship in the Olive Branch facility effective July1, 1995. All other activities to be held there also. Under the shared and voted on name of The Olive Branch - Good Shepherd United Methodist Church. The church closed June 2010.

Patterson Memorial - Christian Advocate, March 15, 1900, Patterson Memorial in Baltimore received a 51 x 58 foot, 2 story social hall, valued at $8,000, from Margaret Bennett, a previous benefactor.

St. John's (EUB)-

St. Matthew's (EUB)-

Trinity (EUB)-

Rodgers Forge (EUB) -

Calvary -

Emmanuel -

Christ -

Hebbville - Salem

Immanuel -

Milford Mill -

Salem (EUB)-

1771 250th Anniversary 2021